23-year-old Yaroslav Zherebukh has joined Wesley So in the US Championship lead after outplaying world no. 3 and defending champion Fabiano Caruana. Elsewhere it was the day of the veterans, with Alexander Shabalov simply needing to remember computer analysis to beat Jeffery Xiong, while Daniel Naroditsky paid a heavy price for taking Gata Kamsky into a Ruy Lopez line the former World Championship Challenger had been playing all his life.
Last year Fabiano Caruana won the US Championship with an unbeaten +6. This year’s tournament has been very different, with a Round 7 disaster knocking Fabi back to 50%.
- Official website
- The US Chess Championships on chess24: Overall | Women
- US Chess Championship, Round 1: So and Nakamura strike first
- US Chess Championship, Round 2: Fighting chess
- US Chess Championship, Round 3: So survives Caruana scare
- US Chess Championship, Round 4: Wesley’s gamble pays off
- US Chess Championship, Round 5: Kamsky shocks Xiong
- US Chess Championship, Round 6: So’s close shave