Harikrishna fought for 115 moves but couldn’t find a way back on Friday against Iran’s Amin Tabatabaei, whose clash with fellow giant killer Haik Martirosyan is the only Last 16 match already determined. Jeffery Xiong was beaten 2:0 by Vidit, while Praggnanandhaa lost a spectacular game to Maxime Vachier-Lagrave. There are no less than eight tiebreaks in the open section, including Carlsen-Wojtaszek, after Magnus failed to wrap up what should have been a crushing win. Top seed Aleksandra Goryachkina hit back on demand to force one of four tiebreaks in the women’s event.
- Official website
- All the games with computer analysis and commentary on chess24: Open | Women
- Magnus Carlsen plays the 2021 World Cup
- FIDE World Cup 2021 pairings are out
- FIDE World Cup 1.1: The battle begins
- FIDE World Cup 1.2: 80 players out, 28 tiebreaks
- FIDE World Cup 1.3: 14-year-old Volodar Murzin scores upset win
- FIDE World Cup 2.1: Aronian forfeits, Caruana in doubt
- FIDE World Cup 2.2: Krasenkow shocks Alekseenko
- FIDE World Cup 2.3: Sindarov knocks out Firouzja
- FIDE World Cup 3.1: Mamedyarov & Yu among 28 in danger
- FIDE World Cup 3.2: Caruana is out!
- FIDE World Cup 3.3: Giri & Mamedyarov join mass exodus
- FIDE World Cup 4.1: Carlsen slowed, Goryachkina beaten