Magnus Carlsen called it “a fairly smooth ride” as he beat Vladislav Artemiev 2.5:0.5 to win the Aimchess US Rapid. His victory matched Wesley So’s three titles on the $1.6 million Meltwater Champions Chess Tour and means Magnus will now have a significant head start over the US Champion going into the Tour Finals later this month. Artemiev also plays the Finals after brilliantly reaching one semi-final and two finals in the only three tour events he played.
Magnus lost just one game on the way to finishing 2nd in the Prelims, beat Jan-Krzysztof Duda 2.5:0.5 twice in the quarterfinals, overcame Levon Aronian 3:1 on Day 2 of their semi-final after all draws on the first, and then finished with two relatively comfortable days against Vladislav Artemiev — if not for a mouse-slip the score would likely have been 2.5:0.5 both times.
Once again the first game was crucial, and it was a tense strategic battle with both players castling queenside.
For Magnus, meanwhile, it’s just one day until the start of Norway Chess. It all kicks off at the same time as the Aimchess US Rapid days — 11:00 EST, 17:00 CEST, 20:30 IST — on Tuesday September 7th. chess24 is the official broadcast partner, so don’t miss live commentary from Judit Polgar and Jovanka Houska, plus video of the players and post-game interviews, exclusively here on chess24!
- Champions Chess Tour website
- All the Aimchess US Rapid action with computer analysis and live commentary: Prelims, Knockout
- Wesley So triumphs in the Chessable Masters
- Magnus Carlsen returns for Aimchess US Rapid
- Aimchess US Rapid 1: Aronian leads after Firouzja mates Carlsen
- Aimchess US Rapid 2: Artemiev leads as Duda & Naroditsky shine
- Aimchess US Rapid 3: MVL pips Carlsen, MVL & Giri out
- Aimchess US Rapid 4: Carlsen, Firouzja & Aronian strike
- Aimchess US Rapid 5: Firouzja takes down So
- Aimchess US Rapid 6: FIrouzja hits back against Artemiev
- Aimchess US Rapid 7: It’s a Carlsen-Artemiev final!
- Aimchess US Rapid 8: Carlsen leads despite mouse-slip
1,064 total views, 5 views today