Nazi Paikidze beat Annie Wang in Armageddon to clinch the 2018 US Women’s Chess Championship and take home the $25,000 first prize. 15-year-old Annie Wang started in fine style to win the first rapid game and had a great chance to seize the initiative in the second, but when she hesitated the momentum swung in her opponent’s favour and Paikidze went on to demonstrate the composure that saw her win her 1st title in 2016. Annie Wang took the $18,000 prize for second place, though, and is sure to be back for more!
Congratulations to the amazing Nazi Paikidze who showed true grit and determination to come back from the precipice and defeat the phenomenally impressive and cool young talent Annie Wang and win the 2018 US Women’s Chess Championship. A well deserved second title!!
- Official website
- Saint Louis Chess Club website
- All the games on chess24 with computer analysis: Open | Women
- US Chess Championships start today
- US Champs 1: So wins as Naka and Fabi struggle
- US Champs 2: Fabi on fire | So & Akobian lead
- US Champs 3: Caruana hits the front, again
- US Champs 4-5: Caruana hits the wall
- US Champs 6: Fabi is back but Shankland leads
- US Champs 7: Zviad the Impaler
- US Champs 8-9: Shankland and Wang are shock leaders
- US Champs 10-11: Shankland in dreamland
850 total views, 3 views today